musings of a city girl

a look into the mind and heart of Janet as she struggles to shine amidst the clamor and concrete in an impersonal city.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Late night christmas shopping

My alarm went off at 2:30 AM. Slightly confused, and very groggy I turned it off and lay there...I had been having a dream that I can't remember, but I think it involved driving around in a school bus at one point. Then I remembered WHY I had set my alarm for 2:30 AM: to do something that I have never done before- go shopping! Sure I've been in convenience stores like 7-11 at that time of night (like after a night out), or at Denny's (all-night studying), but this was different. WALMART in south edmonton common was open 24/7 up until Christmas. This place at any sane hour of the day is nuts! So busy that I feel my blood pressure start to rise and my patience dwindle...kids everywhere, shopping carts blocking my way, endless line-ups at the cash register. So the thought of being able to avoid all that seemed glorious. So I talked my sister into going, as well as my best friend who was going to meet us there (she didn't think we were actually serious in going, but took the chance...woulda been kinda funny if we HAD stood her up though!). I was surprised how many people there actually were there. And the answer I had been asking since I found out about the new holiday hours was answered: there really IS an all-night WALMART greeter. It was amazing! I was able to cruise down aisles without almost running someone over. I only had to wait in line for 2 people (one of them being my sister), and I could make observations on everyone else who was there at 3am, and ponder what their reasoning for going was. Andrea suggested going around interviewing people and asking, but there were too many security guards around, and I have a feeling we would have gotten reprimanded. Anyhow, so its now 4:43 AM and I'm wide awake. Good thing I get the next 3 days off to recover!!
Peace

2 Comments:

  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Kelly said…

    ok, first of all, I can't believe you actually set your alarm to go to walmart! I'm hoping to be there no later than midnight tonight...well, that's my goal anyway. merry christmas!

     
  • At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Merry Christmas Donut!!!!
    I would have loved that..... shopping at Two in the morning. Well I need to say I miss you and hope to see you soon... when is that by the way?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home